Apple announces new MacBooks and new version of AirPods. New Chips with brilliant numbers but what about Intel?

Apple recently rolled out new Macbook Pro laptops along with AirPods on Monday. MacBook Pro 14-inch was priced at $1999 and 16-inch at $2499. The noticeable thing that excited Tech enthusiasts and investors alike was the M1 Pro and the M1 Max chips. According to Apple, the M1 Pro delivers 70% faster performance than the older M1 chip, with a 10-core chip design. The M1 Max has 32 cores, delivering twice the bandwidth of the M1 Pro.

Picture Courtesy: Apple

They listened, the new MacBook replaces the taskbar with more function keys, a bunch of new ports which includes an HDMI connector, an SD Card slot and three Thunderbolt connectors. They also thinned the bezels but included the top-notch for a 1080p camera, the FaceID was missing on the notch.

Apple also introduced new AirPods with up to six hours of listening time, spatial audio, and a new low-distortion audio driver. The new AirPods cost $179.

During the event, Apple also updated its $99 HomePro Mini smart speaker lineup with new colours. And the company launched a new voice-only Apple Music subscription plan designed to be used with Siri, at $4.99 a month.

With promising numbers on the new chips, Apple seems to have set the benchmark that will change the game for Windows laptops as well. Everything seems in Apple’s favour, for now, let’s hope that the recent supply chain shortages shouldn’t affect Apple’s delivery of new products including the iPhone 13.

Wait there’s more, Intel supposedly wants to win back Apple, Gelsinger, who became Intel ‘s chief earlier this year, said on an episode of “Axios on HBO” that Apple decided they could make a chip better than Intel could. During the interview, which aired Sunday, Gelsinger was referring to Apple’s M1 chip, which was unveiled in November 2020.

“And, you know, they did a pretty good job,” Gelsinger said on the program. “So what I have to do is create a better chip than they can do themselves. I would hope to win back this piece of their business, as well as many other pieces of business, over time.”

Apple seems to have set the benchmarks way higher and seems to be the market leader in the chip offerings for its laptops. AMD and Intel chips are way behind in terms of performance, it seems that it will be a mammoth task for Intel to win back its share on Apple, but first, it needs to cope up with the performance that the new chips offer.

Thoughts on Apple’s new chips and Intel’s future?

1 Like

Not sure if there’s a comparison in GeekBench for the chip performance against various softwares when run, getting the actual data set.

However, till last checked AMD Ryzen was clocking more in terms of performance & battery life during the performance test when compared to the best/new of Intel chipsets (Tigerlake/icelake/cometlake).

Now that we have these M1 chipsets claiming better numbers, it would be interesting to understand the performance numbers at all scale level than at higher level; based on which, I would want to keep my investment plans for Apple. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like